Single Motor Robot Challenge
July 21, 2014
5 Days to go! 5 Complete Entries! Good luck everyone!
Time for a new challenge!
This time around, the handicap will be building your robot with a single motor (or servo, muscle wire, coil, solenoid, or other actuator).
But wait, that's not all! It also has to be able to locate something (a light source, magnet, dark spot on the ground, etc.) of your choosing, and move to that location.
This is something that has been done before, usually with interesting mechanical solutions, but there are many ways to go about tackling this problem. I look forward to seeing fellow LMRians' solutions to this challenge.
Tenative & Complete Entries:
|LMRian||Robot Name||Robot Project Page||Complete entry?|
1. The robot shall have only one actuator.
2. The robot shall be mobile and not fixed to anything.
3. The robot shall seek out something it it's area. Such as a light, a magnet, a mark on the ground, a ball, or whatever you choose.
4. The robot's operating area must be level.
5. The robot's mechanics (beyond the actuator) have to be built by you, no reusing old toys on this challenge, although you can replicate the design of a toy that you think would work.
6. Video must be provided showing the robot locating it's target, and a second video with the robot starting from another location to show it's ability or inability to move left or right.
7. One entry per LMR member.
End of the day GMT September 20, 2014
Robots will be judged based on it's ability to locate it's chosen target.
Can it turn left, right and go straight, or only left and straight? The higher score going to the most mobile.
Bonus points will be given for a walking robot. Edit: Anything that is ingenuitive and solves this by novel solutions will be judged appropriately.
Aesthetics will also be taken into account, are there wires everywhere or is it neat and tidy?
Prizes (in US dollars):
1st Place: $60 gift certificate to an electronics/robot shop of your choosing
2nd Place: $40 gift certificate to an electronics/robot shop of your choosing
3rd Place: $20 gift certificate to an electronics/robot shop of your choosing
To Enter the Challenge:
Create a robot project page on LMR (or on a personal blog) then paste a link to it in a comment on this page. Included in your page should be pictures and as much information as you can in regards to your robot's method of locomotion, sensors, and what it's target is. Please provide a video of your robot in action locating your chosen target.